Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to thenewhorizon

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see fewer advertisements. Registration is quick, simple, and free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Bumping In [Tag: Augustine, Brahan, Nyria, Sasha]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

---[Setting]---
Galaxy: Milky Way
System Cluster: 34 Tauri
Solar System: Bai Hu
Planet: Albion
Level: surface
Continent / Ocean: _
Nation / Territory: _
State / Province: _
County / Prefecture: _
City / Town / Village: _
Suburb: _
Structure: back-alleyway
Time Frame: Past
TNH Verse Year: 2517
Local Date: 2517 _ _

Strolling down the sidewalk of the dust-laden town, I was preparing to meander inconspicuously into a random restaurant to step out its side or back door to exfiltrate through the rear alleyway. There wasn’t really any threat, or even the potential for one, that I could detect, but it was considered good practice in many of the circles I have been a part of in chapters past.

The restaurant was a fairly common, greasy, backwater one; the kind you always find along interstates, interstellar shipping lanes, and small towns a bit off the beaten path. It didn’t capture my interest at all; in fact, rather, it accosted my senses and left me almost reeling to get back out into the rather sandy, trash-perfumed air. On my way back out there, into the warming sunlight pouring down in its steady brightness from over the top edge of the old, ramshackle building that was housing the grease-bomb of an eatery, I at first noticed the signature hue difference between the light of this world’s star, Bai Hu, and that of the one my eyes and subconscious were more accustomed to back home, on Persephone; Lux. Although I had been born on one of the moons of Athens, which orbited a yellow star; Huang Long, which was arguably closer in its color and other qualities to the star of this world, I was far more adjusted to and comfortable with the conditions of the one I had grown up on; that of the world Persephone.

The next thing, of course, was that I could hear some commotion not far off, and then the distinct crack and clap of a gunshot a few blocks down. Instinct takes over for me at points like that; my will to fight, rather than take flight, and I all-too-naturally jogged out of sight in the direction of the oncoming conflict. All good Marines know that the best way to survive something ugly and messy is to head toward it, rather than away; this almost always confuses and scares the antagonist, along with anyone else watching, and thereby leads to you seizing the initiative, along with a great amount of respect and space from any locals or watchers. Not many people run toward the things trying to kill them.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Bumping In [Tag: Augustine, Brahan, Nyria, Sasha]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:41 pm 

It had been a long, annoying day, and the fact that the law was now again on my tail wasn’t helping that any. I had grown used to it after all these years fighting the pestering Alliance, but somehow that didn’t make it any easier. Every night I found myself still fuming about our losses; those of my side’s, and about my own personal qualms and agitations with both individuals and their parent organizations as wholes. One more firefight erupting in the streets wasn’t really going to worsen that at this point; it was just another predictable outcome of a roughed-up guy like me trying to get by, beset on all sides by those who were doing just the same, albeit with rather unfair advantages by comparison.

When I saw another man coming up on my six, my first instinct was to use him as a shield or kill him so he wouldn’t further hinder my rerouting. The way he moved, though… it caught my eye. I knew right away that he had been trained, perhaps his whole life, in the arts of war that were as familiar to me; I was in the presence of a fellow, stray war-dog. With my pistol still being raised, I let these thoughts finally derail, and stopped its ascent. I eyed the man back for a long moment, feeling the cops encroaching to the point of nearly being ‘danger-close’, and finally saw just what I needed to see; more than him being a fellow warrior, we regarded each other in a manner characteristic only of those of a very elite, inner circle of that caste or walk of life. I could tell he had endured much the same traumas and setbacks I had. In my experience, that would make him strangely sympathetic to my circumstances, even if that might mean his inevitable demise. More –perhaps most- importantly, he wasn’t one of the pigs; his clothes and gait and countenance didn’t match any of theirs at all. I saw how he looked over their way, clearly indicating to me that he understood, and that we both ought to focus our attention back on them. There wasn’t any more time to assess. Necessity was again king, and we sighted back in from our positions across the narrow alleyway, and resumed the return of lethal fire.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

I could tell he had an exceptional military skill-set portfolio and prowess by the way he immediately synchronized with my “bounding and overwatch” back to the Firefly, which still sat parked and hidden in a tight space behind the buildings forming the buffer zone of our alleyway. If he had been a member of the Alliance, he almost certainly wouldn’t have been running that heatedly from those ‘boys in blue’; he would have been helping them. This meant, according to both William of Ockham and my gut, he was considered a war criminal by them, or that, at least, he had enough of a record as a member of the opposing side during the War… that if he was caught for even a minor infraction with any local authority, he would likely pop up on the grid as a re-dubbed ‘terrorist’, and be slammed with a stack of charges a mile high, just so they could keep him out of their hair during the remainder of the Reconstruction efforts; Dust Devils tended sabotage such things, and quite frankly… I didn’t blame them.

Along our way; one of us providing covering fire while the other changed his position in a sort of militarized leap-frogging pattern, we both quickly noticed the pair of sneakered feet sticking out from between two old-fashioned, tin, garage-can cylinders grooved like old Greco-Roman columns or pillars. Nyria, although her name had not been given to us at the time, was lying unconscious and easy for the picking, but where the law enforcement had not yet seen her; her casually-clothed body haphazardly propped with its back up against a brick wall. I remarked, thinking aloud, that I didn’t even know they still made or used bricks anywhere, and kneeled after I determined that she would be useful one way or another; it was time for me to claim my latest spoil, trophy, and eye candy, in accordance with my sacrosanct customs.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:17 pm 

I remarked at his actions rather dryly, but with a faint smirk as I kept crouched low behind some crates a few feet away, Fringe worlds use anything; they’re scavengers by lot.” But deep down, I found his fortune and choice to be exceptional.

Auz picked up the agreeably-short, tiny girl who looked to still be in her teens, carrying her away from the cops who would surely take advantage of her either for a sloppy **** or to pin half of the “crime” of our gunfight on her, no doubt having extra weapons (confiscated during other patrols) to plant on her and even in her small, soft hands. Despite her size, though, I knew that even someone with such steely nerves as this new fellow oddly opting to help me exfiltrate would still tire more quickly, being unbalanced now and slowly throwing his bodyparts out of alignment. Darting from cover to cover, I maintained a bit more fire so he could focus instead on getting his new human-shield farther out of the way. We would have to break line-of-sight with our pursuers soon, for even if we hadn't taken on the extra weight of an unconscious girl, we would still run out of batteries and other ammunition before they did.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

With Brahan dutifully taking over our ‘talking guns’ approach to resisting arrest, I walked around and through a labyrinth of waste containers the size of shipping crates, until I found the dirty, tarp-and-mesh-concealed side-hatch to the cargo belly of my new, small ship, stepping up inside of it and leaning back out to cover Brahan as he decided to enter in turn. With Brahan then inside, I closed the hatch and carried Nyria to the rear of the cargo chamber to find our guest doctor still going over his new arrangement of tools in the medical pod. “Doc, see if you can revive this one. She wasn’t with us; just found her on our way back.”

It was good to have a helping hand with the field medic operations I never really cared all that much for. I could comfort people and heal them in a few ways, sure, but my quintessence and leaning was always far more into what outsiders would consider the ‘dark’ end of the spectrum. Now freed of Nyria’s weight, I rolled my shoulders, slowly stretched and rotated a few things back out and into their proper places and elasticities, and stepped back out so Brahan could take a look. I figured he hadn’t seen an old ship like this; few ever had after they had stopped production years and years back.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:37 pm 

I nodded and helped Auz slide her off of his shoulder and onto the only operating table in the small room I had been assigned to manage. When her body rolled back away from me, her arm almost flailing over her torso to hang limply at her side, her face and figure became fully visible in her fitted clothing, and my heart almost ‘skipped a beat’ upon seeing how stunningly, impossibly beautiful she was. “What was a creature like you doing on a world like this? The words I had uttered came out in a half-gasp of a bewildered whisper, and were ones even I had barely heard, despite having formed them. I stared down in disbelief at her. She was more lovely and comely than any girl I had ever seen, including completely fantastic works of fictional art and deities. There simply were no words… no words to describe her looks at all.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

I patted Brahan around his tricep as I passed by him, heading back out of the medical pod with a nod indicating that he should follow. Striding up the catwalk’s metal-slats staircases, I continued up and out of the cargo chamber to find Augustine on his iScroll (a paper-thin, rollable, semi-elastic version of the iPad from centuries past), going over some things. “Mr. Bilderberg,” I politely yet informally began the ice-breaking introduction for our unexpected, compatibly irregular guest.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:53 pm 

My ears picked up ‘Bilderberg’ immediately, and I quirked my brow almost involuntarily; the name holding significant meaning to anyone with a little bit of education and news awareness under their belts. There was no way they were serious; it had to be just some form of the standard military dry-wit, but it had been said none-the-less, and it had gotten my attention all the same. My eyes took in the frame and countenance of the suited man, and I at once had him figured for someone with deep pockets so deep that he didn’t bother much to hide that fact –even out here in the less-civilized colonial worlds. The way he carried himself reeked of money, too. It wasn’t cocky or blatant, but it was still obvious. I began to entertain the possibility that he was of that incredible company somehow, or, at least, that he worked for it in some capacity. Little did I know his actual direct link to and command of it. I would have lost my bearing for a second.

Taking a respectfully reserved place aside and slightly behind our introducer, I let my arms hang at my sides; my hands resting together over my belt buckle, waiting there in case he was accustomed to the firm handshake I had been raised to expect and base trust gauging upon.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Augustine looked up, still wearing his brown, darkly-tinted Aviator sunglasses. “Mr. Himmler.”
“We’re ready to depart.”
“I trust everything is well in hand.” It was more of a question than a statement, but came out with the intentionally mixed tones.
“Well enough. Some police were causing a ruckus, so we should depart presently to avoid hurting them in the lift-off.”

I knew that the police would do everything in their power to thwart the exiting flight of me and my ship, pinning everything they could think of on us –far beyond just aiding and abetting an armed fugitive resisting arrest and assaulting law enforcement officers with lethal force and intent, but I had been through nightmarish pain and suffering in my time, and didn’t want to wish that on anyone (even my mortal adversaries, the pursuing police), having also once, not very long ago, been on their same side, fighting just as hard as they now were, and for the very same brainwashing reasons; the normal youthful life of a hypnotized patriot seeking to prove himself and make a rapid positive difference in the world. It didn’t matter if they continued to shoot at us and damaged the ship that would have to carry us safely across billions of miles of Outer Space; they probably didn’t and couldn’t know any better, and I had more important things to do than slaughter or futily attempt to reason with cops –today I did, anyway.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:12 pm 

I knew as well as Himmler did that our new (retrofitted) Firefly would not be identifiable no matter when it took off, so the decision was made with the logic Auzdein had just presented. I nodded and rolled up my iScroll, slipping it back into my suit-jacket’s inside breast pocket. There were a few personal effects I still needed to stow and secure before lift-off, as even with the g-drive working properly, there was still protocol to follow to ensure our safety and the financial efficiency of a low-incident (or, better yet, incident-free) operation. I wouldn’t move quickly, though, as it was a statistical impossibility that Brahan, even if on the off-chance he was a licensed pilot well-trained enough to know how to fly this old model, would take to the helm without hesitation, being in a stranger’s vessel under odd and suspect circumstances. It would take a few bullet ricochets or laser impact scorch hisses to trigger that response, and with the heavy shielding and automated deflection devices we’d had installed, such sounds would be muffled and negligible, if they were heard at all. It was probably that no damage, in fact, would be taken, either, as law enforcement on most worlds were highly limited in what they could carry, and even more so in when they could discharge their firearms –even when already having been fired upon. This all boiled down to the bottom line of us having several minutes to work with, rather than several seconds if we’d been working to evade military personnel, special forces, rich guerrillas, or elite field agents.

Report this post