Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Welcome
Welcome to thenewhorizon

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see fewer advertisements. Registration is quick, simple, and free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Green Tea or Bust [Tag: Adeline Reese]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:52 am 
Site Admin

---[Setting]---
Galaxy: Milky Way
System Cluster: Local Cluster
Solar System: Ra/Sol/Sun
Planet: Earth/Gaia
Level: surface
Continent / Ocean: North America
Nation / Territory: U.S.A.
State / Province: New York
County / Prefecture: New York
City / Town / Village: New York City
Suburb: (borough) Manhattan
Structure: Boheme Coffee House
Time Frame: Past
TNH Verse Year: 2013
Local Date: 2013 February 10

by Auzdein von Himmler at February 10 Thursday 4:18 am EST

Another coffee house. Auz recoiled noticeably at the very thought of it, but again, he told himself, this was important and a worthy and fleeting torment in exchange for the virtually invaluable data that might be summoned forth from across the Veil from it. Mustering every mind trick he could account for, and taking ample time to acclimate to the stench of the psychotic and suicidal construct of the manimals, Auz was finally able to approach the place and find a seat inside.

After looking over their menu, and turning his proverbial nose up at the Chamomile, Earl Gray, and just about everything else listed on the small, folding pamphlet, he dared to settle on the Americanized Green, and hoped and prayed to any deity who could hear and would listen, that it turned out to actually be green, and not the diarrhea-brown of Lipton's falsely-labeled and -advertised "Green Tea", alongside so many others of matched, blatant color-blindness and failure.

'Woo-sahhhh, woo-sahhhh. Happy place, happy thoughts. You're not going to kill everyone. You're not going to k-' his thoughts were cut off by a skip of his still boyish heart. Adeline, though he had yet to learn her given name, rounded the corner, entering his field of view. All of a sudden, the smell of coffee and humans wasn't even in his head.

'Christ, you're a softy, you superficial, aesthetically addicted ****.' he jeered himself in true and classic, merciless Marine fashion. A smug smirk slipped into a grin and then passed from his face, leaving his expression neutral and objective again. He raised a casual hand with two fingers raised together to get her attention. Time to roll the dice -on the hopefully-green tea, and the waitress...

Attachments:
Adeline Reese shoulder glance.png
Adeline Reese shoulder glance.png [ 20.14 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Green Tea or Bust [Tag: Adeline Reese]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:57 am 
Site Admin

by Adeline Reese at February 10 Thursday 4:34 am EST

Ada blew a strand of wavy hair from her face. Even as head barista, she still had to deal with serving the food and drinks. Normally, she wouldn't be, but a couple of their main servers called out sick in what she assumed to be flu season. Leo had asked for Ada to work the floor, and just supervise the bar rather than mix the drinks. Enough baristas were staffed since they had recently gotten an influx of them - young, college girls that were apparently drool worthy. She wondered about her kelpie friend and if she would be resting today, or spending time with Slate. That would be saved for another time. Currently, Ada was dishing out the orders of sandwiches, from Swiss steak to BLT's with the giant toothpick and black olive. She would pass out glasses of water, juices and coffees in large ceramic mugs. She glanced over to the coffee bar every now and then to check on the new-hires, and smiled at the patrons she'd just served.

"I'm Adeline, I'll be your server for today, so let me know if you need anything." She would say with a bright smile that would reveal her dimples. She collected menus off of people's hands, and held the round black tray to her chest when someone lifting two fingers caught her attention as she left a booth. A male was seated, apparently a customer who'd just walked in. She shifted the menus and the tray to one arm as she pulled out a leather bound notepad and a black ink pen. She removed the cap with her teeth, and stuck it to the bottom end of the pen, and made her way over to him.

She smiled, and trying not to get irritated with her wild waves today. She should've pulled back her hair, but she'd been running late this morning - surprisingly. Ada was never late, but she was bad luck walking on hooves. Lateness was going to happen sooner or later, and it made her frown slightly before she brightened the smile that expressed her dimples. "Hi! Welcome to Boheme, what can I get ya?" She asked, using the small stack of menus and the tray as her clipboard as she held the pad, pen ready in hand.

Attachments:
Adeline signature.png
Adeline signature.png [ 282.56 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:59 am 
Site Admin

by Auzdein von Himmler at February 10 Thursday 6:16 am EST

Adeline's chipper demeanor caused his military bearing to crack, and a winning smile flashed forth as he restrained the pleased laugh that almost followed. Had she actually cheered him up in a place as dismal and noxious to him as this?? Maybe braving hell-holes like these coffee shops was fortuitous and advisable in this surprising, post-Shift world.

The hand he had used to summon her returned to rest upon his thigh, while its twin continued to serve as the mount for the menu. Blinking a few times as he let the smile live itself out, he looked down at her impromptu clipboard and then back up at her black, flowing curls. A flick of his tongue re-wet parting lips, "I'd like to try your green tea, if I may.." his eyes slipped over her dimples and lips for a second before rising again to study her irises, "und vhichevah hors d'œuvres and entrée the fair maiden fancies." With that last sentence fragment, the first two words were spoken with a crisp Deutsch accent, the following four with a fluid Français one, and the final four words with a regal and commanding yet musical and soothing American English accent and tone.

Auz folded the menu and let his eyes glance down and to a slight angle at the floor between two other tables off to Adeline's side as she began to inscribe the order, then moved them back up to her. Somehow, they were simultaneously piercing like a calm eagle's, and awestruck, as if equal parts of him wanted to observe her figure and essence in quiet appreciation, or test her reactions and abilities by lunging at her and seeing how far his momentum and techniques would take the two of them.

Where he came from, staring, directness, aggression, and superficiality were all part of the status quo, and a looker like her always indicated someone who came from an intelligent bloodline, and who took care of their form, as well as their mind. The debate now flared within him: test the waters and see what her inclinations were, or honor the stereotypical customs of the Outland. He analyzed her body language for clues beyond the universally cheery shell she was required to present to every patron. Likely, however, he would just leap like he always did, and make a rampaging exploration to discover all of those things and more.

'Ask her about the horns. Ask her what species she is.' the voice inside his head began to joke and order. It was then that he noticed they were chipped. His dark brown eyes narrowed in speculation...

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:03 am 
Site Admin

by Adeline Reese at February 16 Wednesday 2:54 pm EST

Ada kept her warm and bright smile, and she wondered whether or not he was ready to make her order as she stood there with her impromptu clipboard clutched in her hand. The pen was poised, ready to scratch out the order in her fanciful, but legible handwriting. She shook out her wavy mane, trying not to appear too harried. When he spoke, Ada picked up an accent that made her ears perk up slightly to grasp its origins. It was thick, and the syllables rolled in a European cadence that could only be German, but his French was perfect. She was confused for a moment before an invisible palm smacked against her forehead. Europe, duh; as English had turned into an International requirement to learn, she recalled many European natives learning the tongue of their neighboring countries. Her grin turned sheepish, and then self-conscious when he didn’t look at her face as he ordered his green tea.

He appeared human, but Ada’s keen sense of smell detected something different in this male’s personal, however subtle it was. It could be her sixth sense ringing an alarm, and she grew curious before she wrote down the green tea. "How would you like your green tea? Hot? Cold? Sweetened?" Since he didn’t mention latte, she didn’t ask about the milk. When he brought up “fair maiden,” she looked at him with a clueless expression, shifting her gaze from his features and to the empty seat across from him. "Are you waiting for someone?" She asked, because she definitely wasn’t a fair maiden. "I guess that’s a no." she would say to the silence following after her question, and she jotted down any more orders he decided to make. She guessed that perhaps it was his way of asking her to make a suggestion for this “fair maiden.” "I would suggest starting with our Greek Salad or the freshly diced fruits. We have mini wraps, turkey, vegetarian, beef, chicken..." She named a couple more meaty selections, and glanced back at him, noting with slightly narrowed eyes the way he was observing her.

Ada was an agent for a reason, and she wasn't blind to how anyone would look at her outwardly different appearance. She had grown numb toward judgment and her chipped horns would certainly evoke assumptions, probably one being that she was a wild, uncultured beast, not someone who'd belong in the coffee shop. Ada couldn't wait to leave the coffee house job, as lovely as it was for Leo to raise her position to Head Barista, she had a talk with Mitch about taking up work with Ryan Wheeler at Arkham Comics. She lifted her hand to tuck a strand of hair behind her soft, furry ears, which wriggled with her self-conscious nature. "You can just ask," she said, deciding to be up front about it, lowering her false cheery pretense. She looked weary now. She had gone a long while without running her sailor mouth, and she pursed her lips, waiting for any questions about her "fauny" appearance.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:08 am 
Site Admin

by Auzdein von Himmler at February 16 Wednesday 5:24 pm EST

His expression softened some more as he let the power of her natural beauty wash through him, giving him the most amazing spectrum of feelings. A lightly audible sigh of appreciation escaped his nostrils; his eyes moving back to her own, not making any attempt to conceal how she was affecting him, but not making any passes at her, either. "You are free to surprise me with its temperature, if the lady cares to; just don't augment it with any sweeteners, s'il vous plaît." His sentence began in the neutral American accented English, then slyly meandered into a hint of Scottish, then Australian, and finally another touch of rehearsed Français. Although some might take it otherwise, it was just the way he enjoyed speaking.

"Are you waiting for someone?" Barely visible, he pursed his lips a bit more together for a second, and just as faintly pivoted his head from left to right and back again, indicating nought. "I guess that’s a no."

"I would suggest starting with our Greek Salad or the freshly diced fruits. We have mini wraps, turkey, vegetarian, beef, chicken..." Auz listened as she made her submissions. His accent was entirely British and proper this time. "I shall have the Greek salad and a diced red pear, if it is available." He always sampled the smaller menu items before committing to trying any of the grander and richer platters of an establishment.

Auz caught her sheepish grin and later narrowing eyes. When she finally broke the ice with "You can just ask.", he was very much pleased with this, and turned his head a bit -just a centimeter- to the left and away from her, showing a smirk and a quirking brow of the same side, while his eyes rotated to continue observing her face. Adeline's expression wearied and reminded Auzdein's of his own.

"Your expression no longer is the façade of someone being directed. It has become candid.. forthright. I am honored." Auz stood from his seat, placed an open hand upon his lower abdomen, and moved the other hand out slightly to his side, bowing about his waist and swooping his neck and head down for a moment, whilst keeping his eyes gently upon her own. The arts of the highest courts, and of chivalrously honoring and humbling one's self before others had never been lost on him.

Returning to a rather kingly posture before her, "I have never had the blessing before this place and now.. of laying mein eyes upon such a well formed and unique young lady. I would enjoy hearing more about you after your shift, if you care to share in discourse then." Auz eased himself back down into his seat.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:13 am 
Site Admin

by Adeline Reese at February 18 Friday 9:52 am EST

Ada cocked her head to the side, jotting down how he'd wanted his tea. She wasn't sure about his reaction, but it wasn't weird or creepy as to how some people would behave around her on any other given day. He was certainly speaking... funny, switching into several accents in one sentence that it almost made her head spin. She blinked, her ears rising slightly. When he finally decided on an appetizer, she took that down, and even thought about repeating his order when she decided that was too redundant. She already knew it the first time around, and it was written exactly as he had said.

What he would later say to her, after noticing the drop in her sunny disposition, would startle her as much as it made her even more wary. Who spoke like that? Not anyone she'd know, obviously. She felt as if she had stepped into the Twilight Zone, or into a different time... or maybe it was her stress playing with her nerves, and providing a rather vivid, imagination? She wasn't sure anymore, and she lowered her notepad, and moved her pen to her pocket as she waited for him to continue.

He was quite a character, and he didn't seem like he belonged in the real world, but in stories of old, where knights did sit at the round table and Camelot would just be around the corner. He sat with a regal posture and when he told her that he was honored to see her so... blunt, Ada couldn't help raising an eyebrow. Uh... you're welcome? She shifted, showing her discomfort to be spoken to in such a high fashion. She had to take a step back as he stood up in that kingly way and she wanted to wave her tray at him for sit back down!

Once he did, she sighed with relief, and he went on about... wait, what? A "well formed and unique" young lady? Ada flushed at his statement, "well, I don't have much time, but I can start with this..." She hugged the tray to her chest now with the notepad of orders clutched in her hand. "I slept through the shift, and woke up like this. And my horns?" She chuckled with a wry grin, "people are naturally afraid of different. They can't stand it. They are either envious that their DNA wasn't infected, or they're just afraid that the "metas" or the "shifted" are gonna take over and kick out whatever normies are left." She shook her head, "before I go drop off your order, is there anything specific you'd like to know? I don't do well with open questions, so that's all I got for now."

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:22 am 
Site Admin

by Auzdein von Himmler at February 18 Friday 3:55 pm EST

He beamed a grin with momentarily pursing lips at the mention of the new slang he'd never before heard; "normies". 'Cute,' he grinned inwardly, too. "How astute you are." He was well versed in many forms of body language at this point, and saw plain-as-day her uncomfortable reaction to his courtly verbiage and fluctuating accents and dialects. Switching seamlessly to plain, neutral, Americanized English, he carried on."I have often" -he wanted so much to say "oft'" instead- "found the same to be true. Many have been afraid of my differences, jealous of them, angry about them.. and they tend to preemptively betray, as if they can only expect one thing: different people planning to do to them the same spiteful thing. It is a pity."

"Before I go drop off your order, is there anything specific you'd like to know? I don't do well with open questions, so that's all I got for now."
Auz bowed his head slightly in acknowledgement of this. "Nay-" He corrected himself: "No, there isn't anything else. Thank you for pardoning the intrusion of my inquiry. Perhaps we will speak further after work." Everything in him, like a furious Drill Instructor, was barking and scolding for him to finish his turn with "Lady Adeline.", but he held it within and honored her acclimation to the modern standard of interaction here in the Big Apple. He would almost certainly return to the olde speak once (if) she got to know him. It was one of the ways he respected people.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 am 
Site Admin

by Adeline Reese at March 2 Wednesday 1:22 pm EST

The way he switched accents was intriguing. Ada had never heard anyone speak in such a way, eloquence running with multiple European accents and then to American, as if he hadn't been born a day out of this country. Though, his choice words still rang with the "days of old" cadence. Ada tilted her head, listening with attentive, wriggling ears until they pinned back. She hugged the tray and notepad to her chest, wondering with the curiosity in her expression as to what would make him different. She had her appearance, but there were additional traits that came with how she looked; for one, her "goat hops" and her track record had soared considerable, for how much distance she could cover in a span of few minutes.

She smiled softly, "it's how we all were at some point. The only difference, this time, is that the changes we've experience can either be seen as a dream or a nightmare come true." She managed to keep a front, a small, although hesitant smile to what she just shared. There were so many silly fears she still carried from her "pre-shift" days... she needed to stop dwelling on those fears and focus on what were present. She was an Agent for a reason, soon to be promoted from Junior to Senior, just as long as she kept her wits together and carry on her missions. She looked at him again, wondering what he was hiding beneath his human facade. If he experienced the changes, then what were they?

"I have my lunch break coming up." She said, "and I'll get your order right up." Her smile was relaxed now, and she gave a little dip to her head before taking her leave from the table. Hopefully, his orders wouldn't take long, and she checked the other servers that were on the floor. She still had her tables to serve, but with time ticking by at this rate, she would be have the time to actually sit with this mysterious gentleman and have a chat.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:27 am 
Site Admin

by Auzdein von Himmler at March 2 Wednesday 4:01 pm EST

Auz dipped his head a bit with briefly closing eyes, bowing in thanks to her in the very reserved and polite way many Asian communities often did. He seemed to be a mix of every culture, religion, and (as she would later see) animal on the planet... all somehow wrapped up in the body of a mostly-normal man. "Then we shall chat upon the advent of your break." The olde speak just had to slip back in. Try as he might, he could only stray from it for so long; a new and growing aspect of his being that was likely as inescapable as that of her reactive dancing to any flute; he just felt he had to do it.

When his order came, he gave a warm smile and another bow of his head to the server, and very slowly and silently sipped the tea at intervals around bites of food that clearly showed he was savoring each bite and every single taste bud as it tingled. He had a deep, ingrained appreciation for food, drink, quality, and the arts. When they were fused, he was on cloud nine. Auz left the nice young lady to tend to her duties around the establishment, and shifted his eyes and attention to the world around them; all he could see, hear, smell, feel, and sense out through the windows. The only reason he had been able to stay in this public place, around all of these humans, this long... was because he had just met her.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:29 am 
Site Admin

by Adeline Reese at March 11 Friday 4:58 am EST

Ada relaxed. It didn't take long for the faun to warm up to Auzdein, a small half smile dimpling one cheek as she looked at him. He was very polite, and that he didn't jump the barrel about her appearance was rather relieving. He was sweetly patient, and even though she wasn't exactly friendly upon their first encounter, she would make up for it with fruitful conversation on her lunch break, where she would join the gentleman as he dined. The way he spoke was intriguing, and it wasn't out of jest either. His eloquence, dialect and cadence had her wondering about his story. She assumed that he was from out of the country, but had he been in Europe when Abraxas took over? If so, how had he managed escape out of such territory? The only others she knew closely were Nathaniel and Aislin, both from out of the states, but Nate had been in America long before the shift, but Aislin had made her escape, the way paved easier because she was a sidhe. The fey knew ways of avoiding troubles.

After the dip to her head to bade her farewell for the time being, Ada immediately went to the kitchen to drop the order, and resumed work. There were other booths that she was serving, and she had to get a move on, or else Leo would be wondering about her work ethics. She held out her tray, carefully adding the plates and drinks, so that she would take them to the respective customer. The food smelled wonderful, and she knew that they were fine quality as well. Boheme attracted a plethora of customers, and all types - Leo did not discriminate among his patrons, or workers.

She glanced every now and then to Auzdein while he dined, and smiled to find that he was enjoying the meal. She collected the empty dishes and cups from the table she'd been catering to, and returned to the kitchen to drop them off in the sink. The clock struck her time to go on break. She almost did a double take, seeing that an hour did pass, and it was time for her to have her meal and have the awaiting chat with Auz. She went upstairs to the employee lunchroom to retrieve her lunch bag, and returned to the restaurant with her apron soon removed. She walked over to the booth where Auz would still be eating - or perhaps finishing his meal that she would say, "got any room for one more?" She said lightly, and then sat in the booth across from him. Carefully, she unzipped her bag and removed a Tupperware full of homemade seafood pasta, with marina sauce and sun-dried tomatoes. She grabbed her plastic fork, grinning wide as her ears wriggle with her happiness at the sight of food.

Before she dug in, she looked to Auz, "I hope you were enjoying your meal." She quipped.

Report this post

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next