Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Welcome
Welcome to thenewhorizon

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see fewer advertisements. Registration is quick, simple, and free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Masque-what? [Tag: Gigi Sinclair, Bela Night, Indra Patel]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 am 
Site Admin

---[Setting]---
Galaxy: Milky Way
System Cluster: Local Cluster
Solar System: Ra/Sol/Sun
Planet: Earth/Gaia
Level: surface
Continent / Ocean: North America
Nation / Territory: U.S.A.
State / Province: New York
County / Prefecture: New York
City / Town / Village: New York City
Suburb: (borough) Manhattan
Structure: Georgina's penthouse apartment
Time Frame: Past
TNH Verse Year: 2013
Local Date: 2013 February 10

Auz found himself snooping around the higher rooftops again; climbing, Parkour, and disregarding restricted areas always being first and foremost on his list of 'things to do'. After crossing from one building to the next, he found a suitable spot to bed down for the night and make his observations, compile the data from his gauntlets, and mayhaps even draw up a few range cards. He'd never drawn one from such a great urban altitude before. It excited him to the point of cracking a smile.

The hours snailed by, and he continued to use the telephoto Viper handset to spy from his shadowy hide between the large, metal paneled, air conditioning constructs. Turning the dial to switch over to the microwave spectrum, he was able to make out the outlines of humans and humanoids in their various and respective high-rise dwellings, regardless of any shades, blinds, or tinted window coverings they may have employed.

Eventually, his perusing brought the monochromatic view of a gathering to his eyes. A knowing smile spread across his face as the wind picked up and licked across his lips while flicking up a few strands of his shoulder-length mane. He turned the dial back to spy the party through the visual spectrum. The Viper continued to display the grid information, and his gauntlets, networked with the software of the modular optic, began to save the facial recognition data and check it against his databases. By utilizing the HAN (Human Area Network) technology, this was carried out without the emission of a single detectable radio signal; the computer communiqués passed directly through his epidermis from one device to the other. Although now a full decade old, it was tech' that he still enjoyed fielding on his nightly excursions and exploits.

A small, matte black, rubber button on the side of the optic was depressed by one of his thumbs, and the infra-red laser-mic powered on. There was significant, channeled wind between his building and the one across the street far below, and this caused some white noise that made it difficult to hear in sporadic intervals, but by and large he was able to hear the conversations going on in the nicely furnished penthouse. It was almost as if he was part of the fun, casually standing around amidst all the small talk and flirting.

Shifting the rest of his body without taking the Viper off its newly assigned objective, he re-settled himself and stretched out. With nothing pressing occupying his schedule, he figured he might as well see how this social supper played out.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Masque-what? [Tag: Gigi Sinclair, Bela Night, Indra Pate
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:02 am 
Site Admin

by Bela Night at February 10 Thursday 3:00 pm EST

Bela laughed and nodded at her comment, "Ah, of course. You must forgive me, I forget that we haven't really met yet, though we may have heard of each other's names before. I am Bela Night, reporter for The Times. And I see that we have more in commom then just writing." She gave her a knowing smile, and for a moment her chocolate gaze turned golden, her incisors turned into fangs, before everything went back to normal.

Her scent was amazing, completely mesmerizing, and maybe it was the fact that Gigi too was also a shifter. Their scent attracted each to another, maybe as a way to strengthen the race. She couldn't be sure, she just knew that she enjoyed it immensely. "Hmm, you sure do know how to throw a party," she murmured. She watched where her gaze went, seeing a man in a jackal mask, and smirked. She would have to talk to him before this night ended. Then she noticed a man waited by their side, obviously wanting to speak to their host.

"It seems that I am keeping you up. You should go greet your guests and we'll find time to talk later," she said, nodding her head politely and striding inside the apartment. She stopped along the way, murmuring hello's to familiar faces and getting her a glass of red wine. She took a sip, her eyes scanning around for anyone interesting to talk to.

Attachments:
bela flare pose.jpg
bela flare pose.jpg [ 65.24 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:11 am 
Site Admin

by Indra Patel at February 10 Thursday 3:43 pm EST

Lucky for him she had re-introduced herself to him before he had the misfortune of having to take a stab at her name. It was sad really - his inability to remember names by memory, especially when it was the very host herself. Gigi. Gigi. Gigi. He would remember.

"Patel." He naturally filled in the pause and allowed her to continue her introduction. There was something...interesting about her character, something that seemed to be lacking from many of the guests that had seemed to flock to this "masquerade" party. The name was fitting for the guests it seemed to attract - many of them seemed to compensate for their lack of personality with some bombastic mask that demanded everyone's attention. Gigi was different. She obviously had the signs of a social butterfly - a necessity for any host of any successful party, but there was something in the manner that she carried herself that exuded an air of confidence and poise few had. Not only that but, given the length and size of the party, she seemed just as energetic as she had from the start. This is, of course, a given for all successful hosts - however by now she should be tiring and on the verge of slipping away just to take a breather, retreat to her quarters or chat with a close friend - but here she was, carrying a genuine smile with a genuine question. It was an impressive feat to say the least.

"A Heart Surgeon. You would think with sudden changes the world has undergone we would be an outdated resource, but it seems our help is needed now more then ever. Usually I would stick to my job description of heart transplants, but in today's world every doctor seems to be on a triple shift, working vigorously to find a cure for the infected while simultaneously studying to learn the anatomy of every non-human introduced to earth."

He shrugged his shoulders to demonstrate the hopelessness of the situation.

"There's just not enough of us to go around."

He was attracted to her, this was true, but he was more attracted to the feeling of purpose that seemed to be emanating from her. Was it possible for her to be an asset on his mission? Would she be the type of person to even consider such a proposal? He understood the chances were unlikely, but at the same time he had yet to ask anybody else. He knew he couldn't do it alone - that was a simple fact - which means he would need to start asking for help eventually... he figured now was as good a time as any. Of course, a part of him wanted to revel in the party. Forget the potential doom and gloom he was about to bring down on her dead and simply down a few glasses of alcohol, lose himself in the music, push the boundaries between him and this woman to see how far things would go...but he knew such a fate was not meant for him, for he, unfortunately, had a greater purpose to fulfill.

He decided to introduce it innocently, with a question branching off the current topic. He knew his proposal, out of the blue, would alienate even the most diehard fans of his cause - he had to be careful...tactful in his approach.

"Speaking of the Infected...how do you feel about their situation?"

Attachments:
Indra Patel top half.jpg
Indra Patel top half.jpg [ 9.75 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 am 
Site Admin

by Gigi Sinclair at February 10 Thursday 10:31 pm EST

Mr. Patel. She mentally stored the name, while he went on to talk about what he did for a living. A heart surgeon. She had honestly never met a heart surgeon, and she was pleased to have met one. They would be a good person to be on speaking terms with, given her line of duty. She had the utmost respect for him, given the new difficulties of doing such work. There was such a change in the way the human body worked that it must have been difficult to keep up with it all. Her ears perked up even more at his mention of a cure for the infected. She was unsure of what he meant, the politics of such things wasn't something she had much interest in. "I have the utmost respect for you, Mr. Patel. It must be a very difficult line of work, keeping up with the changing times," she said, letting him know her appreciation of his work, whatever it may be. She told herself to hold her tongue. The comment on the infected worried her a bit, but she decided to dismiss it. He didn't know that she technically was one of them, and wasn't sure at this point if she would tell him.

He seemed nervous all of a sudden, like something was bubbling right beneath the surface. He looked like he wanted to ask her something, but wasn't sure of what exactly. Or how to ask it. Then he said it. The words that almost made her choke on her drink. She stiffened at his words, unsure of what they meant. If he was a part of any group that was trying to find a cure for the infected, then surely he would want to know that she was one of them. She wasn't going to tell him right away though. Not until she had learned of his intentions for such a 'cure'. The though crossed her mind that she didn't want to be cured of her shifting abilities, she considered them an asset to herself and her work. They made life easier for her, not harder. She chose her next words carefully. She wanted to give off the feeling of neutrality, even though she was right in the middle of the situation, to say the least.

"The Infected? Well, I would have a to say that I am not one to involve myself in the politics of such things. They, to me, seem trivial. If they simply go about their business, and don't bring me into their, affairs, then I am perfectly content with sharing the world with them. Now, if you're talking about zombies on the other hand, well, those creatures can be, and should be, taken care of. Shifters and vampires, not so easily. I suppose, it depends on the nature of the being. What do you mean by a cure?" she asked, honestly curious about the situation. If he was looking for a cure, he must have been backed by a corporation that believed in such a thing. There were a few, and some of them were not so nice. She was wary, now, his comments leading her to be. She didn't let it show on the outside, again returning to her outstanding hostess abilities. Depending on his answer, she would consider him as an ally, or not. She didn't like judging a book by its cover, but Mr. Patel was making her nervous. Not something that was easily done.

Attachments:
Gigi Sinclaire bnw.jpg
Gigi Sinclaire bnw.jpg [ 9.29 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:26 am 
Site Admin

by Indra Patel at February 11 Friday 7:07 am EST

His eyes brightened a shade as she mentioned the plight of the zombies...however her apathetic view of the entire situation seemed an abysmal trait for the type of ally he was looking for. That bugged him. Extremely. Everyone he had talked to had had a stance on the infected - it was almost as big of an issue as religion or political parties were back in the era of the pre-shift. If she had simply been neutral to the situation he would have understood...but "trivial" was the word she had used. The infected had claimed half of the country soon after the shift, how could anyone view such a thing as "trivial"? He didn't want to judge her for her views, for he still believed his first impressions were correct - that she was more then she seemed to portray. Perhaps she was hiding something? The thought suddenly made things clearer. Her voice had slightly elevated in pitch when he had honed in on the topic of the infected; not only that but her body had completely frozen. Was it possible that she...was one of them?

His chances of finding a professional partner were quickly dying out, but a friend outside the project itself would be more then welcome. He was determined to salvage the situation - as he knew he could, given what he was truly getting at. He knew how the majority of humans viewed the infected - wretched beings meant to live away from normal humans until they came to their senses to help support a cure. This was, to say the least, born from pure ignorance, and he was determined to portray this to the woman.

"For the Zombies, of course. It's common knowledge that Chicago is now rampant with Zombies and exploring the city will now most likely result in death - but does it ever make you wonder why this is the case? According to our limited knowledge of the species they are only supposed to have a life expectancy of seven days - yet they continue to be a very real threat. Are there just hundreds of people becoming infected every day without anyone taking notice? Or are the zombies finding a means of reproduction through different means?"

He knew at this point he was rambling, but he wanted to make it clear that by "Infected" he was mainly focusing in on the zombies. Werewolves and Vampires were a completely different story as they have both the intelligence and autonomy to make the choice of whether or not they want to be cured or not. True - their means of reproduction are most likely viewed as a risk to the world, but the issue is still debatable on both sides. Zombies, on the other hand, are a universal threat, and combating them should be no issue at all.

"If someone is bitten by a zombie they have a mere six hours to live before their life is essentially over. Remedies for being bitten have been discovered - this isn't the main issue - it's the zombies that walk now that pose the real threat. Some have suggested nuking them off, killing them with some great kill-switch. I sympathize for them, however. They can't help their base instincts - they have no choice but to pursue what they hunger for."

He shrugged his shoulders slightly and let out a half-smile.
"I aim to cure them."

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:28 am 
Site Admin

by Auzdein von Himmler at February 11 Friday 3:14 pm EST

As Auz continued to watch and listen, a few more icons appeared and then faded for him, letting him know that biometric signatures had been compiled. This would make it easier to link up with any of the people at the party, should the talk he was hearing about intelligently combating the three big infections from a medical standpoint prove more than just inebriated boasting. Narrowing his gaze, he lowered the Viper a couple inches for a moment and reveled in the high-altitude breeze. It was almost time for another leap of faith…

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Gigi agreed with Mr. Patel when it came to the matter of the zombies. They needed to be taken care of. He seemed to want to help to save them, something Gigi didn’t even know was possible. She knew there was six hour span before they were truly gone. She had dealt with her fair share of zombies, having recently taken a trip to Chicago to get a feel for the epidemic. Barely two days there, and she had taken care of enough zombies to last her a lifetime. She didn’t see herself returning there any time soon, that she was sure of.

“I don’t believe that one can be saved once past the point of being inhuman anymore. They run on basic instincts and that is to feed. I think that if you can bring them back, they would simply be a shell of themselves, not truly saved. That is dangerous and risky work, Mr. Patel. But I do have faith in the future of medicine. If you truly believe that you can somehow think of a way to cure, and by extension, bring these poor souls back to the way they once were, I would be more than willing to help. But for personal reasons, I would ask that you leave the shifters and vampires out of the equation. There is a stark difference between the different species, that being that the zombies cannot in some circumstances think for themselves,” she said, a passion in her voice. She believed in the miracles of medicine, and the feats that it accomplished every day. She was unsure of whether she wanted to get involved in what Mr. Patel was proposing. Her ambitious side was telling her to take the risk, and invest in his research. If he was successful, the recognition for it would be worldwide. If he failed, not that she thought he would, it would have been a waste of her funds. “If you are searching for a business partner, then I may be of some assistance. I’ll tell you what, why don’t we set up a dinner, where we can discuss this in a more private matter. I hate to simply cut the conversation short, but I must attend to the rest of my guests. How about, this Sunday, at six. Here, at my apartment?” She waited for his response, before shaking his hand firmly. “I do believe that you can save the infected. I can just sense it on you. But for now, I must return to my party. It was a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Patel. And I do so hope that we will be able to talk again.” She smiled before excusing herself once again to return to her party. The conversation was weighing heavily on her mind, and she could really go for glass of...

White Zinfandel. She nearly ran into one of the workers, who was holding a bottle of her favorite wines. She looked at him curiously, wondering how he knew what her favorite was. He handed it to her, a blank expression on her face.

“A man asked that I give you this note, along with your favorite bottle of wine. I do not know where he is, or who is, just that I was to do this one thing for him, when you were done speaking to the man whose presence you just shared,” he said, giving her a small note as well. It was written on a piece of the stationary she kept in her kitchen to write notes to herself on. She would recognize it anywhere, since she had is specially made. She opened the note, considering the note written on it.

Miss Sinclair, are you not tired of answering the door?
Close it, lock it, and ignore the banshees clawing at it. It's your party.
When you are ready, find me by the fire.
xxx Jackal xxx

“Thank you very much. I suppose I shall go find him,” she told the waiter, before walking past him to find the man. She slipped the note into her dress, keeping it safe. She forced her way into the crowd, and stopped a waiter, asking for two empty wine glasses. They fetched them for her, and she continued her search for the man who had sent her the note. She finally found the only person sitting by the fire, the man she had seen earlier, with the jackal mask on. He sat comfortably on one of her couches, staring into the fire. She cleared her throat, drawing his attention.

"Would you like a glass of wine?"

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:38 am 
Site Admin

by Cole Floyd at February 11 Friday 7:44 pm EST

She cleared her throat, drawing his attention.
"Would you like a glass of wine?"

The Jackal's blue eyes shifted sideways at Miss Sinclair, illuminated by the fire, as he left the couch to stand up and face her properly. He blinked once. "Yes, let me help you with that," he took the bottle and examined it over, "White Zin, quite popular. Always must be drank within half a year upon opening it. Heard it'd be perfect with a crisp fruit salad on a hot-as-hell summer afternoon."

Cole untucked a miniature corkscrew from the front pocket of his midnight blue tuxedo and opened the bottle. "My name is Cole Floyd." After placing the cap and the corkscrew back into his pocket, he took one wine glass from Miss Sinclair and poured it a third full of the pink and bluish spirit. He handed it back to her, retrieved the other glass, and poured himself equal amount. "Have you ever wished tonight you could see someone's face? Or does it make it easier this way?"

He set the bottle on the floor very adjacent to the couch out of people's way and held up his glass, proposing a toast, "Cin cin, or salute, if you want to keep it informal. I hope you don't take offense or become alarmed when I've had my say. I have a job proposition for you."

"See the flamingo over my shoulder?" he paused for emphasis. "I want him edited. Editing is a strength of yours, so claimed a mutual friend of ours down under. Ten grand. In my opinion, it should go to the next masquerade. You did well. Another five if you dispose of him here, now."

He clinked her glass, "By the way, you look incredible."

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:42 am 
Site Admin

The man in the jackal mask stood up to face her. He took the bottle of wine from her hands, and pulled out a corkscrew from his jacket. He quickly popped the cork while she sat down. As soon as she was settled, he handed her the glass. She took a sip of the wine. He introduced himself as Cole Floyd. She felt as though she had heard the name before, but she couldn’t be sure. She had met so many people in the last few years that it was a strong possibility that she was sitting across from someone she had met before. “There are moments that I do, for the sake of putting a face to a name. But in a way, it does make it easier. I can get away with, not remembering. Like right now, I wish I could see yours, but that would negate the sense of a masquerade. I very much enjoy the mystery of the masks.”

He went on to give a toast, to which she raised her glass for him to tap his against. She smiled at him again, before taking another sip.

“You see the flamingo over my shoulder,” he said, pausing. She took the moment to glance over his shoulder. She saw a man in a pink shirt, flouncing about. He seemed like someone that she would be immensely annoyed with. “Yes, what about him?” He told her how he wanted him edited. It took her a moment before she realized that he meant that he wanted him dead. Under mysterious circumstances. She narrowed her eyes at the price, wondering why someone would be worth such an amount dead. It usually took her two hits to get that amount. And an extra five if she did it there and now. Interesting. She could just so happen to lure him into the bedroom. She pushed the thoughts of seduction aside, instead focusing on Cole. A mutual friend. That explained how she had heard his name. [color=#BF40BF][b]“I’ll do it. He seems like he won’t put up too much of a fight.”

“By the way, you look incredible,” he complimented her. She smiled at him. “Thank you. You don’t look so bad yourself. Now, usually, I don’t make a habit of asking why you would want someone dead, but seeing as you seem to be in a rush, forgive me for asking why. That and when there is the possibility of a dead body in my apartment, I would like to know the circumstances.” She took another sip of her wine, relaxing into her chair. This Cole seemed like someone she could get along with. Already, she was starting to like him. She just wished she could take off his mask. She thought vaguely about reaching across and doing it herself, but didn’t want to push her limits. Perhaps after she had done what he had asked of her, he would be so inclined to grant her that one small favor.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:46 am 
Site Admin

by Cole Floyd at February 11 Friday 11:49 pm EST

"I can get away with, not remembering. Like right now, I wish I could see yours, but that would negate the sense of a masquerade. I very much enjoy the mystery of the masks.”

This replayed in his head temporarily, leaving him in a bit of a daze, unsure if it was her or the wine. Whatever it was, Cole was enjoying it immensely and did not want to be rid of it. Even though he had sworn he wouldn't do a woman, he didn't mind if it was her. She had the power, the voice, the *** appeal... everything he didn't think he'd see tonight. He was gladly proven wrong.

“I’ll do it. He seems like he won’t put up too much of a fight.”

She wasn't at all offended or alarmed. It was as if it was a no-brainer! Now he was certain she was unlike anything else. Cole only gave a throaty laugh, "He doesn't believe in violence."

"Now," Gigi said, "Usually, I don’t make a habit of asking why you would want someone dead, but seeing as you seem to be in a rush, forgive me for asking why. That and when there is the possibility of a dead body in my apartment, I would like to know the circumstances.” When she took another sip of her wine and relaxed into her chair, he nodded empathetically, "Naturally, that would be quite fair. It is your party, after all. It's a matter of business for me. We lived together, and we worked together. For Atlas International."

"Don't get me wrong, he's a sweet person," the Jackal tilted his head slightly and waved his hand around like he was telling her a joke and he was about to reveal the punch-line. "But don't touch my fucking project, you know? It's mine. He said it was immoral, that it posed too much of a threat. He was going to arrest all our work, destroy all we've ever done. Giving up, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I consider that a sin."

He hesitated, staring into the fire.

"But y-yes," he flinched, realizing how carried away he was getting, "I could've easily disposed of him. However, I'd rather play it safe with an airtight alibi and have it done a tad dramatically. Perhaps a scream would do. No one will think it'd be you, especially at your own party. You'd have no motive. They will find alcohol in his system. His obituary will read as a tragic accident. He'll be missed... by his cat. He has no relatives, no friends."

"I suppose it sounds rather sad," the Jackal spoke lowly, then looked back at Gigi immediately with a sly smirk stretched across, beneath the obsidian mask with his blue eyes penetrating.
"No worries, though. I'm sure one day it'll end up funny when one of us looks back."

Report this post

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next